We all know how important the eye is for living our lifestyle and In this topic, we will know the most powerful Healthy Foods For Your Eyes.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) in the year 2020 introduced us to a whole new work environment and the online learning process. Work from home is no longer a luxury or fancy option.
Many organizations have already announced that they shall permanently shift some of the jobs to the remote. Work from the home which started in the middle of lockdown as compulsion has now become a part of work culture.
The convenience of work from home has also led to extra working hours for us in front of the computer adding more burden to our eyes. Also, students are now continuously over mobile phones and laptops for online learning.
Our eyes have started getting troublesome with more spending hours over our mobile phones or computer screens. Since most of us are working from home, the office management is under the impression that we are on quasi leave.
Thus, the pressure is manifold upon us to show more quality results. But in between our work, we forget to take care of our eyes.
Continuous work in front of laptops or usage of mobile phones gives rise to many kinds of problems in the eyes. However, these problems can be minimized or prevented by consuming a balanced diet and intake of nutrients beneficial for healthy eyes.
There are many such foods to keep our eyes healthy. If you include these foods in your diet then you might prevent eye
problems including vision problems.
Let us look at the kinds of foods for healthy eyes that you should consume which are mostly available easily.
- Citrus Fruits :- Citrus fruits have its twin effect in Covid times. They are rich in Vitamin-C which not only boosts your immunity but also keeps the curtains of your eyes healthy.
Vitamin C contributes to healthy blood vessels in your eyes and helps repair and grow new tissue cells. Its antioxidant property helps prevent age-related macular degeneration(AMD) and also helps to combat cataracts.
Sources of Vitamin-C-rich citrus fruits include lemons, oranges, grapefruits, and tangerines. You should consume at least two to three citrus fruits daily.
- Green leafy vegetables :- Green leafy vegetables are also a good source of Vitamin-C which are required for healthy eyes as already discussed above.
They majorly contain antioxidants like Lutein and Zeaxanthin which helps to prevent age-related macular degeneration and cataracts.
These nutrients are present highly in Kale and Spinach. Other good sources include Lettuce, Fenugreek leaves, Collard greens, Broccoli, and Peas.
- Eggs :- Eggs are also a very good source of Lutein and Zeaxanthin along with green vegetables. Besides, eggs are also rich in zinc which helps to utilize Lutein and Zeaxanthin from the yolk and contribute to the retinal health of the eye. The yolk of eggs helps to prevent retina damage from the exposure of blue light.
Thus, eggs should be an integral part of your diet if you are using digital devices for excessive hours each day at work or at home. Zinc in eggs also improves your vision at night.
- Nuts and oil seeds :- Nuts and seeds are rich sources of Omega-3 fatty acids. Dietary intake of Omega-3 fatty acids is essential for retinal health. They are also rich in Vitamin-E which helps prevent the progression of macular degeneration as well as cataract.
Nuts and seeds beneficial for your eye health include walnuts, almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, chia seeds, flax seeds, hemp seeds, sunflower seeds.
- Carrots and Sweet Potatoes :- Carrots and sweet potatoes are super-rich in Vitamin-A. If you might have learned, Vitamin-A is considered the most important and required nutrient for healthy eyes, especially for vision.
Vitamin-A is highly required by our retina which is responsible for us to see. Vitamin-A keeps your eyes moist thus preventing dry eyes.
One sweet potato contains more than double the recommended amount of Vitamin-A and enough Vitamin-C and Vitamin-E required for a person in a day.
With the increased usage of digital devices in our everyday life, the eyes are the most affected part of our bodies. Constant exposure to blue light from your computer screen puts a big negative impact on your eyes. You cannot avoid the usage of devices in this digital era, either for work or study.
However, it also becomes necessary for you to take care of your eyes simultaneously. And the easiest and natural way for that is to consume a balanced diet with the required nutrition in your daily diet.
Nutrients that are majorly required to keep your eyes healthy include Vitamin A, C, and E. Mineral Zinc, Omega-3 fatty acids and antioxidants like lutein and zeaxanthin are also essential for healthy eyes. So, you should plan and consume your foods such that you intake these nutrients in a sufficient amount required for your eyes.
You will find Vitamins A, C, E and antioxidants lutein and zeaxanthin in most of the fruits and green leafy vegetables. Omega-3 fatty acids in nuts, dry fruits, and seeds.
Egg yolks are also rich in minerals and zinc. Eyes are very sensitive and require its own nutritional needs from the body. So, you should eat your foods in combination to avoid any nutritional deficiency for your eyes.
Other Measures To Keep Your Eyes Healthy
Consuming nutritional foods for healthy eyes is one of the easiest and natural ways to take care of your eyes. However, it is not limited to a balanced diet only to take care of your eyes.
You should also implement other lifestyle measures to avoid eye problems. Below are some measures and tips you should follow along with your diet for eye health.
- Do regular exercise and physical activities. Exercise improves blood circulation and oxygen level to the eyes. Exercise also helps maintain healthy body weight and maintain proper sugar level in the blood. As per studies, diabetes and high sugar level are also a cause for blindness.
- Quit smoking as it causes several health issues and also affecting your eyes.
- Get a sound and proper sleep. Sufficient sleep and good rest support the health of your eyes.
- Wear sunglasses when you are outdoors in the sun. High exposure to sunlight is also one of the causes for cataract.
- Wear eye protective while working in the high exposure environment of irritants, harmful chemicals, radiations, mining, forgings and welding, construction sites or any other work environment that can cause serious problems to your eyes.
- Take mini breaks while working in front of computers or digital devices. Continuous exposure of blue light from your computer screen or smartphones puts a lot of strain to your eyes. You can minimize it by taking a break every 20 minutes and focus on a near distant object for a few seconds. Do not glare on your computer screen with too close and adjust the brightness of your screen as per your surrounding light.
- Get regular eye examination and consult your doctor if any slightest of problem occurs. Eyes are very sensitive organs and should be taken utmost care. Any negligence which can cause serious problems to eyes should be avoided.
What are daily intake recommendations of healthy eye nutrients?
Below suggest the recommended daily intakes of various nutrients required for healthy eyes.
● 500 milligrams (mg) of vitamin C
● 400 international units of vitamin E
● 10 mg lutein
● 2 mg zeaxanthin
● 80 mg of zinc oxide
● 2 mg of copper oxide
Should you take vitamin supplements for eye health?
Taking vitamin supplements for the eyes is not quite necessary unless suggested or prescribed by the doctor. The exception is for people who have an eye condition called macular degeneration. Having a balanced diet is the best way to get all the required nutrients needed for eye health.
You should develop a habit of eating the right foods from an early age only so that you never have to depend on supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions