Proper nutrition during pregnancy, is extremely important, not only for the baby but also for the mother. We are talking about Foods To Eat During Pregnancy. Becoming a mother is one of the utmost wishes of a woman.
Speaking of nutrients, while all are important, the best foods for pregnancy are high in vitamins and minerals that play a key role in supporting the baby’s growth and development, including folic acid, iron vitamin D, DHA, which is an omega-3 fatty acid that plays a role in your baby’s brain and eye development, and iodine.
10 Worthy Foods To Eat During Pregnancy
Here are some of the best Worthy Foods To Eat During Pregnancy.
- Whole Grains: Grains are small hard and edible dry seeds that grow on grass like plants called cereals. Unlike their refined counterparts, whole grains are packed with fiber, vitamins, and plant compounds. Think oats, quinoa, brown rice, wheat berries, and barley instead of white bread, pasta, and white rice. Some whole grains like oats and quinoa also contain a fair amount of protein. They are also rich in B Vitamins, Fiber and Magnesium.
- Legumes: This group of food includes lentils, peas, beans, chickpeas, soybeans, and peanuts. Legumes are great plant-based sources of fiber, protein, iron, folate, and calcium, all of which your body needs more of during pregnancy. You will need at least 600 micrograms of folate daily. Which can be difficult to achieve with foods alone. But adding in legumes can help get you some more, along with supplementation based on your doctor’s recommendation.
- Salmon: The fatty fish earns its reputation for being one of the best foods to eat while pregnant. Salmon are packed with omega-3 fatty acids which are essential for a number of reasons; including the development of your baby’s eyes and brain. In addition salmon is a good source of iodine. Sometimes, pregnant mothers are advised to reduce seafood intake because of the issue of mercury. However, you can still eat fatty fish like salmon. And, stick with wild salmon over farm salmon when possible.
- Lean meat: Lean beef, pork, and chicken are excellent sources of high quality proteinand this Foods To Eat During Pregnancy. Beef and pork are also rich in iron, choline, and other B Vitamins. all of which a woman needs in higher amounts during pregnancy. Iron is an essential mineral to make hemoglobin. You will need more iron since your blood volume is increasing, particularly during the third trimester. Low levels of iron during early and mid pregnancy may cause iron deficiency anemia, Which increases the risk of low birth weight, and other complications.
- Fresh Water: Some people may question, is water a food? Whether it is a food or not, increased intake of water is essential to a pregnant woman. During pregnancy, blood volume increases by about 45%. Your body will channel hydration to the fetus, in order to deliver the nutrients. So, if you do not take enough water intake, you may become dehydrated yourself. Symptoms of mild dehydration include headaches, anxiety, tiredness, bad mood, and reduced memory. Not only that, dehydration may also. Increase the risk of early labor increasing your water intake may also help relieve constipation and reduce your risk of urinary tract infections, which are common during pregnancy.
- Dairy products: During pregnancy, a women should consume extra protein and calcium to meet the needs of the growing fetus. Dairy products like milk, cheese, and yogurt will fulfill this requirement. Dairy products contain two types of high quality proteins, including casein and whey. Dairy is the best dietary source of calcium, and provides high amounts of phosphorus, b vitamins magnesium, and zinc. However, if you are a person with lactose intolerance, you may not be able to take milk. But, still you may be able to have yogurt or cheese, as they contain lactic acid, rather than lactose.
- Avocados: Avocados contain a lot of monounsaturated fatty acids so this Foods To Eat During Pregnancy. And they are also high in fiber, B Vitamins; especially folate, vitamin k, potassium, copper, Vitamin E, and richest source of Vitamin C. The healthy fats help build the skin, brain, and tissues of the fetus and folate may help prevent neural tube defects, developmental abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord. As avocados contain more potassium, It may help relieve leg cramps, a side effect of pregnancy for some women.
- Eggs: Eggs are incredible sources of nutrients This Foods To Eat During Pregnancy. Even in small amounts, they contain almost every nutrient you need. One large egg contains about 80 calories, high quality protein, fat and many vitamins and minerals. Eggs are a great source of choline, a vital nutrient during pregnancy. It is important in the brain development of the fetus, and helps to prevent developmental abnormalities of the brain and spinal cord. A single whole egg contains approximately 147 milligrams of choline, which will get you closer to the current recommended choline intake of 450 milligrams per day while pregnant.
- Dark, Leafy Greens: Broccoli and dark, green vegetables, such as kale and spinach, are rich in so many of the nutrients you’ll need, including fiber, vitamin c, vitamin k, vitamin a, calcium, iron, folate and potassium. Adding in vegetables will relieve constipation. And they are known to reduce the risk of low birth weight.
- Sweet Potatoes: Sweet Potatoes are rich in beta-carotene, a plant compound that is converted into vitamin A in your body. Vitamin A is essential for babies development. They also contain fiber, which keeps you full longer, reduces blood sugar spikes, and improves digestive health.