Are you aware of how much Vitamin B12 Deficiency is necessary for the body to stay healthy? You should know that Vitamin B12 is an essential nutrient for the body.
Our human does not make Vitamin B12. We can get it by consuming animal-based food items like eggs, milk, and fish.
Eat them regularly, as our body does not store Vitamin B12 for long. The consumption quantity of Vitamin B12 depends on your age. On the other hand, the measurement of the average quantity is in micrograms (mcg). It varies according to the age of the person.
- Infants-6 months: 0.4 mcg
- Babies of 7 months to 12 months: 0.5 mcg
- Children 1-3 years of age: 0.9 mcg
- Kids 4-8 years of age: 1.2 mcg
- 9-13 years of age children: 1.8 mcg
- 14-18 years of age teenagers: 2.4 mcg
- Adults: 2.6 mcg (pregnant), 2.8 mcg (breastfeeding) & 2.4 mcg
You should consume Vitamin B12 according to your age requirement and special conditions.
Causes that lead to the Vitamin B12 Deficiency
The people in the United States get enough Vitamin B12 from the foods that they eat regularly. It becomes hard to digest the vitamins with age. You should consult the doctor ask for a blood test to check the Vitamin B12 in your body. You can develop Vitamin B12 Deficiency when you are facing the following health conditions:
- Atrophic gastritis cause thinning of your stomach lining.
- The condition of pernicious anemia makes it is not easy to digest Vitamin B12 in your body.
- Celiac disease and Crohn’s disease affect the small intestine of the body.
- Heavy drinking of alcohol affects the body system then; your body cannot absorb Vitamin B12 properly.
- You are facing a disorder in your immune system.
- You are taking some medicines like metformin (Glucophage), cimetidine, esomeprazole (Nexium), and famotidine (Pepcid AC).
You may suffer from Vitamin B12 Deficiency when you are following the vegan diet. It means that you have stopped eating dairy products, meat, milk, eggs, and cheese. On the other hand, you are a vegetarian that not eating enough animal-based products to get the Vitamin B12 nutrients. However, these two cases cause a deficiency of Vitamin B12 in your body.
Signs of Vitamin B12 Deficiency
Vitamin B12 is a water-soluble vitamin also known as cobalmin. It plays an essential role in producing red blood cells in the human body. You find Vitamin B12 in animal-based products, vegan milk, and different varieties of bread.
However, adults face Vitamin B12 Deficiency. You are facing the same issue; it becomes difficult for your body to digest the food you eat correctly. Signs that show that you have Vitamin B12 Deficiency are as follows:
- Pale Skin
- Weakness in body
- Feel the sensation of pins and needles
- Damage your nervous system
- Feel inflammation in your tongue
- Deficiency of Vitamin B12 causes blurred vision
- Changes in mood constantly
- High body temperature occasionally
Tests to find out regarding the Vitamin B12 deficiency
Doctors conduct blood tests to find the level of deficiency of Vitamin B12 in the body.
- Red blood cells number and appearance: People suffering from anemia may have few red blood cells in their bodies. Moreover, the red blood cells will appear large and underdeveloped in cases of Vitamin B12 deficiency. In the stage of advanced deficiency, the number of white blood cells decreases and it looks abnormal in size. The doctor will test it and then check its appearance by using the microscope.
- Presence of Vitamin B12, folate, and Vitamin C in blood: At the same time, the doctor will check the number of folates, Vitamin C, and Vitamin B12 in the blood.
Additional tests to check find out Vitamin B12 deficiency
- Antibodies Test: The doctor will test your blood to check about the antibodies.
- Methylmalonic acid test: You have to go for the blood test in the presence of the methylmalonic substance. The level of this substance is high in people suffering from a deficiency of Vitamin B12.
Treatment Procedure of Vitamin B12 deficiency
The treatment to cure Vitamin B12 Deficiency is a lengthy procedure. You are suffering from pernicious anemia and facing the issue of absorbing Vitamin B12 in the body. The doctor will ask you to take the shots of Vitamin B12 initially.
It is beneficial in getting away from the deficiency in your body. You don’t want to eat animal products to get Vitamin B12. There is no need to worry about it at all. You can get grains that contain an adequate amount of Vitamin B12, supplements, and Vitamin B12 injections.
Older adults need to take the daily supplements of Vitamin B12 in the treatment process. You can ask the doctor about it at the time of starting the treatment.
How much time does it take to recover from Vitamin B12 deficiency?
You are taking proper treatment to cure the deficiency of Vitamin B12. It will take only a few days to recover from the deficiency. It is possible when you are taking medicines timely and following all the advice of the doctor carefully.
People who have a diet-related deficiency can take oral supplements of Vitamin B12. They need to increase their consumption of food items high in Vitamin B12 value.
Older age people are unable to absorb Vitamin B12 in their bodies. Then, they have to take Vitamin B12 injections. It takes around two to three months to recover fully from the deficiency.
Vitamin B12 Deficiency is harmful to your body. It affects the production and appearance of red and white blood cells. You have the symptoms in you that we have discussed in the article. Then, you should consult the doctor immediately without wasting time and start with the treatment accordingly.
It takes a maximum of three months to recover from the deficiency and start your everyday life. Age factor plays an essential role in the deficiency. Older people find it is challenging to digest Vitamin B12 then, which causes its deficiency in their body. They should start taking the Vitamin B12 shots on the doctor’s advice.
Is the deficiency of Vitamin B12 is a sign of cancer?
However, if the Vitamin B12 deficiency is left untreated or not fully treated, it causes cancer. It will increase the levels of homocysteine in your body, which is the cause of cancer. Visit the doctor and consult of the deficiency treatment. A study revealed that around 21% of people suffering from Vitamin B12 deficiency are affected by cancer. 38% of the people lost their lives as they did not go for proper treatment.
What happens in Vitamin B12 deficiency?
You don’t have enough Vitamin B12 in your body. It means that your body does contain adequate red blood cells to do the job, leading to weakness. It will damage your nervous system and affect your thinking ability if you don’t treat the deficiency.
What causes the deficiency of Vitamin B12 in the body?
The common cause behind Vitamin B12 deficiency is anemia. It is the lack of an essential substance known as the intrinsic factor. However, it happens when your immune system attacks your stomach lining by mistake. The production of this substance starts in the body, causing the deficiency of Vitamin B12. Eat the correct quantity of animal-based products to cure the deficiency.
How can you raise the levels of Vitamin B12 fast in the body?
You are struggling with Vitamin B12 deficiency. You want to raise its levels fast in the body, then start increasing the consumption of animal-based products in your diet includes beef, liver, chicken, eggs, milk-based products, fortified breakfast cereal, tuna fish, and clams.